Monday 23 November 2015

Task 3.a Current Networks.



Task 3a.  Current Networks.

Throughout my career in the performing arts, the word network is used a lot, in relation to training opportunities, and that all important audition slot.   When I think about my networks over the years, I’m instantly struck by how they have all changed and varied.  Since college, I have shifted networks depending on what is happening at that time- from my network at college to working abroad and on cruise ships, it’s safe to say there have been a lot of different people around me at different times.  The most consistent way for me to retain a network has to be through social media and the use of Web2.0.  Having spent a lot of time out of the country, these online communities are extremely valuable in helping me stay an active member of the performing art community.  I am also a member of equity and spotlight, massive communities where a wealth of information can be shared within the network. 

Over the last few years my main networks have been whilst working on Cruise Ships.   Working away for so much of the year can have massive implications and be very stressful; the people around you are from all walks of life and often have a lot you can learn from them.  In my experience, these people quickly become your network, professionally speaking an also on a personal level.  What happens when that contract ends?  That particular network of quickly become absorbed into a group of people that you ‘used to work with.’  In a way, our need of them, their knowledge and support is over, we have moved on and that experience is done.  It seems very sad and cold.  There are people from these networks that I have kept in touch with on a personal level, some relationships will turn into friendship.  However, the others seem to just fade away.  In this case, this particular network was circumstantial in direct correlation with my job at the time; but networks are ever changing depending on what we need.


At the moment I have just moved to a new area of the country and have yet to infiltrate a network in the area, I feel like this takes time and patience.  I am ‘the new girl’ still in work but I believe that this will change over time as I become more experienced and can contribute more as well as just taking information.  I am doing a lot of online research also into things I can be a part of, my next step needs to be physically involving myself in more things in this area and getting to know more people!  If any of my fellow BAPP students live in the Newcastle area… let me know!  

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kayleigh,
    I was fascinated to hear your overview on Current Networks as I am a performer however I have never experienced a cruise ship contract. Allot of my friends are currently performing on cruise liners and I am able to keep in contact with them monthly via Facetime or Skype. Its interesting to hear how close your social network had become once you had started your contract. Did you enjoy constantly communicating within an 'intimate' and regular social group or were there situations where you wanted to speak to friends/family and escape from that specific community?

    What were your first thoughts or emotions you felt with regards to your professional network when you finished your contract and returned home?

    I really enjoyed reading this blog as within the future I would love to be given the opportunity to perform on a Cruise ship or on Tour and find this blog extremely resourceful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bethany,

    Thanks for your comment! To answer your first question... yes, there are definitly times when you long for the comforts of your family and other friends. As I mentioned this is all circumstantial, you have no choice who you work with. Also in cruise ship life, you really miss that 'end of the day' feeling when you have done with work and go home. Life on a ship is 24/7, when you have finished your shows or activities for that day... you just go downstairs to your cabin, basically its like living at work. But of course it's all part of the experience, meeting new people from all over the world is fascinating and you create lots of wonderful memories together.

    In answer to your second question, I felt a little lost. I was moving on to other things personally, which for me also meant a change in direction with my career. It's like starting again. When you are away it's incredibly important to retain your networks on land so you have something to come back to, which is really difficult. Reflecting on this, I could have done it better. The people on land don't see you for the best part of a year... out of sight...out of mind. Professionally it can be very daunting, its surprising what you can miss in a year!

    Cruise ships are a wonderful experience and you learn more about your craft than you think possible! It builds stamina and strength not to mention performance experience. You get to work with people from all over the world who have a range of knowledge to share, there is so much to learn. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete