Saturday 5 March 2016

Drama therapy in education thoughts....

Blog

This is just a blog to document my thinking so far and see if anybody else is thinking anything similar. 

My journey through module 2 so far has been incredibly rewarding, through the process of finding out what it is I want to know I have been lead to read fascinating articles and discover things about my chosen area that I didn't even know existed.  I find that I really am enjoying the learning aspect and gaining a deeper understanding of drama as a therapy and educational tool. 

I've decided to focus my research a little more in the way of education as per my experience and what I wish to pursue in the future, I think it will be the most beneficial.  But that doesn't mean I will stop reading all of the other things I have found, simply because I enjoy learning about them.  

I don't know if anyone else would agree with this, but I feel like being involved in the performing arts is all consuming, especially when you're training and trying to find auditions and jobs etc. I have found the BAPP course almost liberating in the feeling that I have been given the chance to see this world in a different light and learn more about the million other areas that make the performing arts what they are.  I have always believed the performing arts can be used for healing and development but until now I never knew just how much. 

So with all of this information mind I want to really focus my thinking on drama therapy and it's role in education.  What can it do? How can it benefit children in school? What does it achieve? 

I have found a few research documents that actively support the role of drama therapy in education and make a very strong case for how much it is needed.  I really need to now look at these studies and articles with a more critical mindset and be objective in my analysis of them also.  

4 comments:

  1. Ooooooh yeah very similar ideas however you doing it through drama and I want to look into dance the dance side haha do you think I should have some experience in it before I do my inquiry about it? As of now I have none and not sure if thats okay?! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also I can't see your facebook group? Add me .. Jess Boswell and my picture is my boyfriend giving me a kiss on the cheek haha if you struggle! with like christmas lights in the background. Please add me to it x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jess! I've added you to the group now, hope you can see it! I only have a very limited experience, but it was those few events that inspired my thinking. So I don't think you necessarily need experience but have a look in your local area to see what there is? You may be able to even volunteer somewhere? I know in my local are there is a company called bare toed dance...
    http://www.baretoed.co.uk/?page_id=39

    I had a quick look when I was still looking at danc and movement therapy too. Think there are other links on that page too!

    Hope it helps!

    Kayleigh

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes - good topic "drama therapy and it's role in education
    What can it do? How can it benefit children in school? What does it achieve?"
    this will be more about the practice rather than the children as recipients so questions restated possibilities
    What is drama therapy's role in education? (what kind primary secondary inclusive?) What are the policy implications? then something about practitioners - theory and practice? so the ideas and how they are applied in the field? the ideas of inclusive drama will be here as well in the literature....

    ReplyDelete