Monday 2 November 2015

The Theory Of Multiple Intelligences


After initially reading Reader 2, I did some further research on Howard Gardner's 'Theory of Multiple Intelligences' and went on to buy the book.  I was particularly interested in this because of my current role in my workplace.  I work with children with very severe additional needs, including medical needs; this means when planning lessons, there are a lot of factors to consider, including how they learn and their strengths.  There are many instances where we teach by a hospital bed, so it can become incredibly difficult.  With more knowledge of this theory I believe it will enhance the experience I can give in my role- if I can understand further all the different types of intelligence that I may face then surely I can give a more positive learning experience. 
Currently, there is no official Multiple Intelligence Test,  no definitive way to self asses and decide what you are; I don’t think it’s as black and white as that.  Of course, there are crossovers, and people could be strong in more than one area.
 Howard Gardner explains why there is no official test with two reasons,

1‘There is no evidence to suggest that most people possess great insight into their own strengths and weaknesses; and
-Most people don’t know how to differentiate preferences (what you would like to do), interests (what appeals to you), and computational capacities.’



From this I also understand that people could be biased, deciding what they want to be based on current needs and experience as well as just choosing a preferred subject matter.  I always thought I was more of a kinaesthetic learner, relying on bodily movements and physical activity. So would I just lean towards answering in a way that would prove that instead of answering the questions with an open mind?
 Howard Gardner also states,
 2‘The gold standard in assessments consists of performance measurements, where one has to demonstrate intelligence and not just testify to it.’


So, setting examples for classes to demonstrate practically their understanding of a given subject.  I had a more positive learning experience in my A levels as most exams involved physically showing my understanding. I  found my GCSE’s more challenging because I feel a lot of it was just how much you could commit to memory and regurgitate in an exam. 
 When going onto the website, there is a small survey type test that you can take, just as an indication of what intelligences you naturally lean towards. You are invited to watch a short video then answer a few tick box questions. 
My top two results where as follows,
The orchestral music = Musical intelligence
The emotional turmoil of the main character = Interpersonal intelligence
 This was taken from a list presented at the end of the quiz.  Despite being a singer primarily, I have always shied away from saying that I am ‘good at music’.  This is purely because of my fear of music theory which is very logical and mathematical.  But maybe I’m overlooking my full potential in my Musical Intelligence because of this. Perhaps in order to develop my Musical Intelligence I should try and overcome that barrier, after all its something I put there myself, no one has ever told me I’m bad at it.  Logical and Methodical intelligences are not a strength but if I tried to develop this within music theory then my musical intelligences would be more developed also.   
 I have been reading the book Frames of Mind, The Theory of Multiple Intelligences and decided to focus on the musical intelligence section, which I found fascinating.


3“Of all the gifts with which individuals may be endowed, none emerges earlier than musical talent.”



Going to nursery at the age of 2/3 I decided to give my first performance; every day at 2.30 I would stand on a table and sing the opening aria to Sleeping Beauty.  Musically, I have no idea if it was a performance worth watching but I think it is safe to say my musical side showed itself very early! 
Reflecting on this, I began to think that I have done myself a disservice by not developing the theoretical side of my knowledge to a higher standard.  As I mentioned in my last post, reflection can be uncomfortable and I find that fact incredibly so.  I would class myself as a hard worker and I have given most of my life to honing my craft; but the fear of failing or seeming ‘stupid’ has created a barrier for my learning. I have a ‘good ear’ and have always been able to hide my gap in theoretical knowledge behind my practical ability.  Well, I think I need an action plan to overcome this,  a way to move forward and stop hiding. 

1,2 Official Authoritative site of Multiple Intelligences. What MI am I?. [online] Available at http://multipleintelligencesoasis.org/what-mi-am-i/ [Accessed on November 1st 2015]

3Gardner, H., 1985. Frames of Mind The Theory Of Multiple Intelligences. London: Paladin Books.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Kayleigh! It is never too late to learn and to gain confidence! Once you learn more about yourself, you learn more about your craft and I am sure you will overcome all of this. Thanks, François

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Francois, thank you for your comment. A very unnerving experience to go through, but thank you , yes that is my plan! Kayleigh

      Delete
  2. Hi Kayliegh, I have been reading the blogs of various other module two students, but yours is by far the most moving. I can relate especially to your last paragraph regarding how the process of reflection is not always a comfortable one. As well as this it sounds like you have an emotionally demanding job so I imagine that you might feel like you are on bit of roller coaster. Personally though tough I have found the process to be a cathartic one which has opened my eyes to many aspects of my professional life which I have either missed or subconsciously blocked.

    I can also relate to your feelings regarding your music as I have taught myself piano, guitar and singing with some tuition but mainly through trial and error. Despite the fact that I am told my that my abilities are of a high standard, it somehow does not quite feel genuine without the relevant musical theory knowledge. I was given an excellent book by a musician friend which really helped me gain knowledge and confidence. Learn to read music by Howard Shanet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pete, thank you so much for your comment. It is very comforting to hear from someone who can relate! Yes, I think subconsciously I have blocked a lot of things and sometimes consciously also. I recently started to learn a few chords on the guitar and am finding it a very enjoyable experience, something I will be continuing! I will look into that book! thank you, Kayleigh

      Delete