Tuesday 13 October 2015

Task 1.d 2D Images

Flickr Account. 

For this task I created a Flickr account, something completely new to me.  In the past I have used Instagram and uploaded pictures to Facebook but this time I thought I would look at an alternative way to share images.  Images and audio-visual is vital in today’s social media, people post pictures for  number of reasons.  They can illustrate a story, provide a visual aid to an example and some are posted just for fun.  As I have mentioned in the past few posts, I have been thinking a lot about the idea of an online personality.  So when I was choosing images for my new Flickr account I kept this in mind, what type of image would portray a professional personality? If a prospective employer or just complete stranger was looking at these images what would I want them to say about me? So I chose images such as, my head-shots, show pictures and a few travel images .  Nothing too personal, but hopefully something that someone out there might find interesting.  Flickr is a great site to share art, looking around the site I was absorbed in a wealth of images, some very thought provoking.  This is another great example of Web 2.0 and how this site encourages users to share and be actively involved. 

When using images, careful consideration has to be applied.  I work with children and there are several child safeguarding issues to consider.  Recently, in my place of work we were creating a book for one of our students, they requested pictures of their friends in the book.  Therefore permission had to be obtained for the children involved from parents and guardians.  It is vital to use caution when working in this environment.  The pictures taken are then to be used for that project alone, if they were suitable for another project permission would be needed again.  Under no circumstances should those images be taken anywhere else.  Teachers and adults working with children need to be extremely careful when working with images.  Also in the same way, any pictures of themselves online need to be in keeping with any policies implemented by the school.    

Feel free to have a look at my Flickr page by clicking here.


    

2 comments:

  1. Professional personality good way to think about it. Yes children online a big issue - you have them from something you attended on this Flickr - performance and travel - main themes - were the children a part of the travel ? or a job?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paula, the children in these pictures were from an orphanage in Guatemala which we did our own fund raising for. It was a destination from my time on ships, a cause we all felt very strongly about so decided to help!

    ReplyDelete